Spiced Maple Glazed Ham Recipe
Are you looking for a delicious and impressive centerpiece for your holiday feast? Look no further than this mouthwatering spiced maple glazed ham recipe. With its perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors, this dish is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. In this article, we will guide you through the process of preparing and cooking a succulent ham that will leave everyone asking for seconds.
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s take a look at the ingredients you will need:
- 1 bone-in fully cooked ham (8-10 pounds)
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Now that you have gathered all the necessary ingredients, let’s get started with the step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: Preparing the Ham
Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C). Place the ham on a cutting board and use a sharp knife to score the surface in a diamond pattern. This will allow the glaze to penetrate the meat and create a beautiful presentation.
Step 2: Making the Glaze
In a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is well combined and slightly thickened.
Step 3: Glazing the Ham
Place the ham in a roasting pan and brush the glaze generously over the entire surface. Make sure to get the glaze into the scored diamond pattern. Reserve some of the glaze for basting during the cooking process.
Step 4: Cooking the Ham
Cover the ham loosely with aluminum foil and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for about 15 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 140°F (60°C). Baste the ham with the reserved glaze every 30 minutes to keep it moist and flavorful.
Step 5: Resting and Serving
Once the ham reaches the desired temperature, remove it from the oven and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving. This will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in a tender and juicy ham. Serve the ham warm with the remaining glaze on the side.
Tips and Variations
Here are some additional tips and variations to enhance your spiced maple glazed ham:
- For an extra layer of flavor, try adding a tablespoon of whole grain mustard to the glaze.
- If you prefer a spicier kick, sprinkle some cayenne pepper or chili flakes over the glaze before baking.
- For a smoky twist, use smoked paprika instead of regular ground paprika in the glaze.
- Consider adding some fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme to the glaze for a fragrant touch.
- Feel free to adjust the sweetness of the glaze by adding more or less brown sugar and maple syrup according to your taste.
With its irresistible combination of flavors and stunning presentation, this spiced maple glazed ham recipe is a surefire way to impress your guests. Whether you’re hosting a holiday gathering or simply craving a delicious ham, this recipe is a must-try. Follow the step-by-step instructions and feel free to customize the glaze to suit your taste preferences. Your family and friends will be delighted by the tender and flavorful ham that graces your table. Enjoy!